Archive | Community

Don_Mark_feature

Small Talk with Mark S. Lee with Guest Don Perry

On Sunday January 14, my Executive Producer/writer of Family Pictures USA, Don Perry joined the weekly CBS Radio podcast, “Small Talk with Mark S. Lee” along with other guests: Kurt Rankin, Senior Economist, PNC Bank, Dana White, Founder and Owner, Paralee Boyd, and Karen Hudson Samuels, Executive Director, WGPR TV Historical Society.  The podcast covered various […]

Continue Reading
Telling our Stories

Telling Our Stories: Photographers of Spirit of Community with Thomas Allen Harris

Behind each family picture, there is a story — a story that is representative of the communities that each picture comes from. On Sunday January 21, 2018, join NAACP Image Award-winning filmmaker and socially engaged artist Thomas Allen Harris as he moderates Telling Our Stories: Photographers of Spirit of Community, an art talk. Spirit of […]

Continue Reading
VisualAIDS_Schomburg Panel

Creating Art from the Archives: “About Face: The Evolution of a Black Producer”

Thomas Allen Harris looks back at 28 years of HIV/AIDS activism in newly released short film, “About Face: The Evolution of a Black Producer.” On World AIDS Day 2017, Visual AIDS opened its 28th iteration of Day With(out) Art, an annual program that seeks to increase awareness of the ongoing HIV/AIDS crisis. This year’s program, […]

Continue Reading
rosenbaumFeature

Memoirs of a Father with Philip Rosenbaum

“Producing a five minute video about my father and how he survived the Holocaust was an experience I will forever cherish. The idea came to me on the first day of our two-day seminar, Re-Imagining the Family Album with Professor Thomas Allen Harris at Hunter College’s Integrated Media Arts Program.” “On that first day, I quickly […]

Continue Reading
Yance_featured

Yance Ford on Family Photographs in His Film “Strong Island”

“Strong Island chronicles the arc of a family across history, geography and tragedy – from the racial segregation of the Jim Crow South to the promise of New York City; from the presumed safety of middle class suburbs, to the maelstrom of an unexpected, violent death. It is the story of the Ford family: Barbara Dunmore, William Ford and […]

Continue Reading
AAF_cover

Afro-Atlantic Flight: Speculative Returns and the Black Fantastic

“In Afro-Atlantic Flight, Michelle D. Commander traces how post-civil rights Black American artists, intellectuals, and travelers envision literal and figurative flight back to Africa as a means by which to heal the dispossession caused by the slave trade. Through ethnographic, historical, literary, and filmic analyses, Commander shows the ways that cultural producers such as Octavia […]

Continue Reading